A few months ago, I had the crazy idea of putting some pieces together to make my front porch look a little more inviting. It had been looking pretty neglected for far too long so I thought this spring I’d work on sprucing it up. However, who knew it would take me almost two months before I felt like I could share it with you all? When you have a vision, sometimes it takes a while to have it come together. And I’ve decided (since I’ll my projects tend to feel this way) that it’s ok. 🙂 I’ll eventually get it done!
I do have to admit, I didn’t do it alone. I received a lot of my inspiration from Pinterest. So I thought I’d share what inspired me and then what I did to tweak it and make it my own. Side note, anybody that knows me, knows I don’t shy away from color! I love it and so that’s what I was going for with this project….LOTS and LOTS of color!!
Front Porch – Before
Front Porch – After
Seriously, this has got to be my new favorite outdoor space. Now to share with you how I got this look…
Spray Painted Chairs
No Pinterest inspiration here really. I simply wanted my chairs to match my front door — which I have painted in Woodlawn Juniper — so I went to Lowe’s to try to match it as best I could. And surprisingly, Valspar’s Project Perfect Paint + Primer in “Secluded Garden” was pretty darn close.
Here’s what the chairs looked like before.
And here’s what they looked like after. Not too shabby, eh?
DIY Drop Cloth Rug
I ran across this drop cloth rug idea from We Lived Happily Ever After and I absolutely LOVED how it turned out.
I figured since she did a great job walking through the steps, I could attempt to make one of my own and I’m SO glad I did. As mentioned before, I wanted color so instead of white paint I picked up some Classic Red Valspar paint samples from Lowes (2 containers to be exact) and got to work.
I think it turned out pretty fantastic, if I do say so myself!
I also sewed the rug together. Since it was going to be outside, I didn’t want it flying apart and all over the place once a big gust of wind came. And I’m glad I did. We’ve had some pretty good storms come through recently and this little rug has held up like a champ. So make sure to take that into consideration if it’s going to be an outdoor rug.
As I was scrolling through Pinterest one night, trying to find something that was a little bit different for a patio porch I ran across this picture from The Blissful Bee and I instantly wanted to have something similar. That wreath on the window? OH. MY. GOODNESS.
I love the idea of hanging something from the window!! So, of course, I started looking for pieces I could put together to make something similar and after a few visits to the local craft stores I had what I wanted — a 15″ white twisted wreath from Hobby Lobby, a “Hello Sunshine” wooden plaque from Michael’s (sadly, I can’t find it anymore online but it might be worth checking the local Michael’s to see what they have) and then a couple of 9 x 12 felt sheets from Joann’s.
The sign: I spray painted the “Hello Sunshine” sign with Valspar’s Project Perfect Paint + Primer in “Afternoon Stroll“.
The flowers: I found several felt flower tutorials online (however, I knew how to make the felt rosettes already because of the Valentine Wreath I made a few months ago).
The wreath: I didn’t have to do anything to the wreath. I just hot glued the sign and flowers to it.
It all came together perfectly. I love how it turned out!
I bought the pillow forms from Walmart for $2.97 each. They are 12 x 16. Then it took awhile for me to find the fabric I wanted but when I saw this Fresca Fiesta fabric on Pinterest I had to have it. I thought it would be perfect!
I ordered it from Fabric.com because they had the best price. Then I waited patiently for it to arrive. Once it came, I seriously threw these babies together in record setting time thanks to this super easy pillow envelope tutorial done by Six Sisters’ Stuff! I’ve used this tutorial in the past and seriously, these things are SO simple.
They turned out awesome! I definitely think it ties everything together.
Lastly, I had a few extra flower pots laying around so I grabbed the yellow spray paint I used for my “Hello” sign and painted them to match everything else. They were a drab brown color before so I think a simple spray paint job brought them to life.